Friday 6 June 2014

From High to Wilted Wigs

For the grand finish, I have decided to try something a bit more risky...


Yes, I decided to play with something a bit more temporal; a wig made from vegetables.  Inspired by one of the artists whose work always draws me back, Giuseppe Arcimboldo.  For someone living in the 1500s, his fusion of still life and portrait is truly avant-garde.

And I got the perfect idea for the wig block:

a.k.a. Mr. Cabbage Head

I reused the paper towel holder from the first wig block and stuck it into the cabbage.  It was surprisingly secure.  I purposely chose a smaller cabbage size as the ball wig block taught me to size only the upper head shape, not including the jaw.

 As decided, the third wig foundation will be a more traditional sheer, stretchy fabric style.


 I picked up some nude hosiery, popped it on to Mr. Cabbage Head, and based stitched the legs around.  Technically, I should of cut the legs and sewn the opening but I was worried about the quality of 99 cents hosiery as they tend to tear easily as it is.  Looking back, I wish I used stretchy thread for this step as the restriction of the normal thread throughout the cap made it pretty difficult to put on.

Mr. Cabbage Head also wanted to join in the picture
 Grocery shopping took on a whole new meaning when you are shopping for texture and colour instead of cooking and price convenience.  I picked up some green onions; three different types of kale I think (or it could of being lettuce or cabbage of some sorts, the grocery clerk was unsure as well); bundles of extremely foul tasting parsley; and carrots and radishes for some pops of colour.  I set them to dry a little thinking of starting the attachment of the "hair" today (I didn't want to work with dripping vegetables as it will be pretty messy) but notice them starting to curl and wilt.  In alarm, I started right away.


I rarely take in-progress photos because I tend to get carried away in the process and enjoy the surprise of the final piece.  But this time I though it would be useful for explanation purposes.  In reflection of the first wig's hair arrangement issues, I started sewing on the vegetables from the nape this time and worked my way to the crown.  Starting with pieces that has a stronger spine, circling up using variety of textures, and ending with the more delicate parsley.  As I worked, I noticed the vegetables starting to droop which put me into a frenzy resulting in numerous poked fingers.


Here is the final work with the radishes and carrots added in.  The radishes were extremely difficult to work with as the fruit was not securely attached to the leaves so I had to poke it through the whole thing.  I wanted the wig a little longer as well but was restricted by the length of the vegetable stems.  Though the texture turned out beautifully.

Last but not least, my little model wearing the vegetable wig:



As you can see, the parsley has notably wilted quite a bit by this time resulting in a little dent.  But I think I did a good job with the "hair" that is framing the face; notice the use of the green onion in the reversed direction?  My fingers smelled pretty bad all night no matter how many times I washed it. 

8 comments:

  1. Vegetables are an extremely creative idea! But as you noted, it will probably rot quite quickly! Is there a way you plan in helping it last monger? maybe you can try drying out the vegetables first, like people do with flowers (alternatively, flowers can also be another interesting option)...unless the "temporary" aspect is something you are aiming for! Also, instead of just using green vegetables, have you thought of using other colors? You could also "dye" vegetables, like putting celery in a glass of water that's been mixed with food coloring. This post:http://sharynmunrova.tumblr.com/post/22868570853/all-these-colors-were-achieved-with-red-yellow is for frosting, but I'm sure you can use it for dying vegetables as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!this is so cool !!!i love it!!I have new understanding of the vegetables and wigs Thank you cherry.i wanna share with you a stupid things here. that is .......i try to stitch banana skin to make a helmet...i know it's hilarious...don't laugh at me ><but i pretty enjoy the whole process!it's great experience! i guess you might have same feeling right?haha anyways thank you for sharing with us.Well done ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cherry. I never thought in my life I would see a wig made from vegetables. I like is very much. I like how it is temporal. I like how it will not look the same a week from now on. You did a great job in contrasting and layering the different textures. Since you only used vegetables, unlike fruits, you don’t have to worry about it rotting and attracting creepy crawlies and fruit flies. It would be neat to see a time lapse of the wig from crispy and fresh to dry and blemished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing Cherry! It must've been a great hassle sewing the vegetables together like this in a form that you wanted. The textures and colors are fantastic. Do you know how much it weighs exactly? Your wig really reminded me of the Weedrobes Wardrobe series by Vancouver artist Nicole Dextras. I know her work is sometimes exhibited at our school. Plus, she teaches some classes! Here's a link to the series I was referring to:

    http://www.nicoledextras.com/index.php?/garmentssummer/weedrobes-wardrobe/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cherry, that is an absolutely fantastic idea and project. Your vegetable wig as it is modelled on the cabbage, and on your "little model," despite the wonderful absurdity of it, appears fierce, noble, and elegant. You could almost imagine Cleopatra wearing it, if she were a cabbage. The whole idea and the manifestation of the idea is imaginative, cool-looking, and creative. I am jealous! This was a superlative project idea and it turned out excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed seeing your process and all of the different iteration you made with this project. I think that you were very creative in choosing your materials and looks like you had tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Cherry, I love your amazing thought for using vegetable to make a wig! Also, I can feel that you are really involving and enjoy making you wig. It is so cute. I want to try it on too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thought you might enjoy this BLOG on a tinfoil wig....!

    http://boingboing.net/2014/06/19/maker-mayhem-low-moments-in-h-2.html?utm_campaign=moreatbbmetadata&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=boingboing.net

    ReplyDelete