Friday 30 May 2014

Wiggle Room

As my plan is to make wigs from unconventional materials (reference to hair ball monster) and not exactly natural looking - I blend right in - wigs, most of the material research does not relate to my ideas.  Though one thing that crossed over is the use of foundation or wig cap.  I have decided to try three difference styles of foundations:

First a knit cap.

Cool drawing no?

Yes, I thought that was a genius idea as well.  Based on this DIY post on about.com by Rain Blanken (link here).  My plan is to focus on the "hair" arrangement and colour combination of the yarn and or ribbons and or any other string like materials I come across.  The knitted quality of the cap is ideal for such choice as the strings can easily be hooked through or sew on.  Be prepared for some wacky and fun colours!

Second wig cap will be of the helmet type using a wrap around mold of my head.  This iteration is from Whimsey Box by Alison Strang (link here).  She used newspaper as her "hair" choice but I will be doing something a little different.

Upon my research into wigs, I came across this term "macaroni", a term I associate with dried pasta that was used in an absurd context that I knew was not what the paper referred to.  After Googling it, I can across this image from Wikipedia:

Click here to see wiki page

"Macaroni" in this case referred to someone what dress or acted outlandishly which suited the phase of periwig period wonderfully.  Therefore a periwig inspired wig out of macaroni is a must!  And thus the helmet style cap will be more suited as I imagine it may end up really heavy.

Third foundation will be a more traditional with the fabric style wig cap but as I lack a proper wig block, we will compromise and use hosiery.  This idea is also from a DIY website called "This MAMA makes stuff" (link here).  It will require more sewing and the tradition of working with more elastic base.  "Hair" material to be determined upon inspiration.  Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment