Monday 26 May 2014

Why Wigs?

Wigs are kind of creepy.  Makes my scalp feel itchy just looking at them, though I never actually tried one on.  I always link them to giant hair balls in the tub that forms into a monster when you least expect.


The purpose of this wig project is to attempt to make something you never never done before within the discourse of consumer culture versus maker culture.  What attracted me to wigs was the idea of it as something to hid under, sort of like a constructed identity.  Bald people may wear wigs, people who has short hair may wear long hair wigs for occasions, or cancer patients may wear wigs to ease the lost they have to go through.  (More research into that soon) 

My plan is to make 3 iterations of wigs using 3 different materials.  Tentatively, the first will be more "hair-like" material (yarn?) and progressing to more unconventional materials as my technical skill gets better.  Please feel free to suggest any materials you think I should attempt.  Some of my current ideas are: feathers, leaves, straws, something food related?

As the time budget is pretty tight, hopefully get the first one done before end of the week and two next week.  In the mean time, stay tune for some wig info on historic and cultural associations.



























































































No comments:

Post a Comment